expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, July 24, 2009

Do I fear God?

I stayed up late last night doing a little bit of reading and studying. I started out just needing to finish my reading to keep me up to date on the reaing through the Bible in 90 days. I was reading in Isaiah 65 and I loved how it said "before they call, I will answer". I loved picturing God being able to answer before I even call. Well, since I have a Scofield study Bible, there are always cross references, so I started going here there and everywhere, and soon came to Psalm 25:14. "The secret of the Lord is with those who fear him." I wanted to know this secret!! I got my concordance, and looked up fear. (I have SO missed Faith Bible Institute this summer, and can't wait for classes to start again in the fall!)
Now let me just stop for a second here, and say how much I love my Bible. I have a real problem, at times, when people are so big into reading books. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good book and I know that you can learn a lot from other people. HOWEVER - there are so many people who are always talking about this book or that book, and how this book changed their life, and how they never really unederstood something until they read that book. I love this quote from Amy Carmichael "Never let good books take the place of the Bible. Drink from the Well, not from the streams that flow from the Well".
DO WE GET IT???? We have words DIRECTLY from the creator of this universe, the creator of US! Why do we not understand that we do not need to rely on the words of mere humans? There is always going to be the chance that the person's words you are reading could have error in them. God's Word never will. I realize there may be a bit of irony here, since I am human, and you are reading this, but like I said, I don't find anything wrong in reading. I only have a problem when people become so obsessed and consumed with people that they forget they have the all-powerful, life-changing, direct words of GOD!
ok, I will climb down off my soap box now! :)
Anwyways, I started doing all this research on the fear of God. I have studied it before, and I "know" what it means, but the more i researched it, the more I realized how much I do not DO it! I love Deuteronomy, and there are tons of verses that talk about fear in that book. The first thing I realized is that fear is LEARNED! I mean, I guess I knew that, but it makes sense to me. (at least it did at 1am!!) Babies do not fear anything, because they have not learned to fear anything. It's the same way spiritually. We need to learn to fear. Deut. 31:12-13 has an entire 3 point sermon if anyone is ever interested! 1.Hear 2. Learn to fear 3. Observe.
Fearing always starts with hearing! 1.We have to hear God's Word. We have to be listening to know what we are to fear. 2.Then we need to learn to fear him. Read the verses that talk about the wrath of God, what He does when people turn away from Him. Am I afraid of disobeying God? Abraham was! He was so afraid of what disobedience would do, that he was willing to kill his own son! That is true fear! What else would drive you to do that? Fear drives you to do things, and usually NOT to do things! 3.Then we need to observe. Deut. 6:24 says that fearing God is "for our good ALWAYS". ALWAYS!! This is a different kind of fear that we will ever obtain, because we know that God wants what's best for us. Psalm 31:19 says "Oh how great is your goodness, which you have laid up for those who fear you" It's like He's got good things sitting there waiting for us, if we will just fear Him! So what are we waiting for?
I really believe that I will live my life so much differently if I learn to fear God the way that I should. Take a little time and look up fear in a concordance. It will be well worth your time!

1 comment:

  1. awesome!! so encouraging and so thought provoking. i enjoyed reading this. thanks for posting it!!

    love you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs