expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

God uses people with a past...

but does he use people with out much of one? of course i know God can use anyone, it's just something i've been thinking about for a while.
a few months ago, i got together for coffee with someone i didn't know very well. we both kind of shared our life stories to each other, and at the end of mine, she said. "wow. you had a perfect life." i felt a sick feeling in my stomach. i didn't even know how to respond. see, it brought up feelings in me that have been there for a long time. for those readers who don't know me well...
i grew up in a christian home. my dad was a pastor and my mom stayed at home. they had (and still do) an amazing relationship with each other and with Jesus. i have an older sister, a younger brother and a younger sister. i met my husband in kindergarten, and we started dating in high school. we went to college together, got married and have 2 healthy, amazing boys. we are debt-free. we don't have any major health issues. and sometimes, to be totally honest, i feel almost guilty about it. and not only that. i feel like i can't be used of God like so many other people can. now don't misunderstand me here. i am fully aware of the awesome power of my Father. i know that he can and DOES use anyone. i also know that at this point, so many of you are saying - you are lucky you didn't have to go through what i did, you should be thankful. i am. but just think about it from my perspective for a minute.
i have always had a huge burden for youth. i have a heart for young girls that are hurting. i have a heart for foster kids and orphans, i have a heart for single moms, i have a heart for the broken and the weary. and i mean, i really have a burden and heart for them. i have dreams all written out on paper with plans to open a home for foster kids. i have it named, and worked out. i have already called who i have to call to start foster care classes. i have counselled friends who are or have been single moms. i have worked at 2 different crisis pregnancy centers, and i already have the plans written out to start my own pregnancy center. so don't get the picture that i am either rubbing in that i have had a good life, or that i don't plan to do anything for God with my life. i am currently involved in a lot of ministries that involve a lot of different kind of people. and i am not trying to rub anything in.
so many times i keep feeling like, God can't use me. i know it's the enemy talking, but it FEELS so true! (ugh. those blasted feelings! the heart is deceitful people!) a few years ago, adam and i had taken a group of teens on a missions trip. one night, just the girls were together. i looked at them and realized 5 of the 6 girls had no relationship with their father. either they didn't even know who he was, or he had walked out on them. i felt overwhelmed. i have a very close relationship with my dad. how can i relate to them?? they are going to know that i can't fully understand their problems!

you can look anywhere in the Bible and see people that God has used that have had broken hearts and lives. people who either made bad choices (rahab, the apostle paul) or had bad things happen to them (job) and God used them in spite of it all. everywhere you look, people are reminding you that no matter how far you've gone, how much pain you are in, God can use you. i started reading a book from a well known author (who i actually really love) and had to stop reading it, because the entire first chapter was sharing how much pain she had been through and God is still using her. so the same will be true for me. of course this is not a bad thing that she was sharing this!! but i was automatically not included in the people group she was speaking to.

all the well known speakers and authors are people who have been through it all and are now sharing. i'm not criticizing them. at all.
i am just saying. there HAVE to be more people than ME who have been blessed with a "good" life. not to say i don't have my own problems. of course i do, and i have. i have had my fair share (not sure who determines how much a fair share is) of being hurt by people, to the point that i have started to wonder what is wrong with me! i have had my times of not knowing how we were going to get food on the table. i have had my times of just downright sinful feelings of self-pity and sadness. but i have not had the loss of a parent, sickness of a child, or abuse of any kind. does that mean that i don't have a voice worth being heard? everyone wants a speaker with a story, right? you know, to make all those people feel like you know where they've been. but i DO feel like i have things to share. i am not trying to sound like i am whining here. i have just been thinking about this, and haven't even really known how to express it!

God can teach through blessings as well as through pain. i don't have a "past". but i do have an amazing, forgiving God who gave his life for ME! He is teaching me so much that i just want to share. i am always learning about ways that i need to grow. my prayer is that the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in the Lord's sight. even typing that hurts a little. the meditation of my heart? maybe i have even been meditating on this for too long! it's not about ME. i need to decrease, and Jesus must increase. i know this. and i am not giving up on life or anything even close to that. i am not even discouraged! but please just hear my heart. it is still hard for me to feel like i have much to offer besides a nice smile and a listening ear.
i am a daughter, sister, wife, mom, friend, and probably enemy to some. i am ok with that. i am a sinner that needed a Savior, and when i got that Savior, i got an amazing, powerful, living book that gives me everything i need to share with anyone i can.

thank you to all my friends who have read this. you have given me a place to share my heart, and that feels good.

to my friends who have had very difficult pasts due to either bad choices, or no fault of your own...thank you for your encouragement to me and your example of living for God regardless of your past. thank you for showing me the way that God can forgive, or the way God can heal! you are an inspiration to me, and i really mean that.
to my friends who have had a life with no real "past". keep hanging in there with me! help me to see the ways that we can be used in great ways for God!! that is my desire. for my voice, my actions, my money, my LIFE to bring glory to God.

6 comments:

  1. This was a GREAT post!

    While I, personally, had QUITE the difficult past (abusive childhood, etc...) I CAN relate to what you write, because it is exactly how some of my young adult children feel. I've had this exact talk with them. (I'll definitely have my eldest daughter read this post.) My kids have been raised in the "big, happy, Christian, homeschooling family", and they can't relate to so much of what their peers have walked through. But ... that is NOT a bad thing.

    You are BLESSED beyond belief, to have lived such a life. Please ... do NOT think that the LORD cannot use you.

    Sadly, one of my daughters has actually gone off and made poor choices in the past, so that she could "have a testimony". Totally incomprehensible to me. She even "expands" her personal story, in order to be able to "relate to the youth". So totally sad! You cannot imagine how heart-breaking it is for her mama.

    REJOICE in the life that the LORD has given you. And ... keep reaching out ... keep setting an example for others to follow ... keep loving on the down and broken-hearted. God WILL use you!!!

    Hugs!

    mama of 13

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:17 AM

    If you ever need someone with a past let me know. Just having your blog to read is an inspiration to me. God is using you greatly.Remember you reached out to me a long time ago(or not so long ago)my first thought was wow she seems to care.
    My prayer for you is for your dreams to come true,that God will let it happen,remember in His time,You have great things in Rachelle's heart Lord.Use her greatly.
    Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing i love reading your thoughts. you have such a heart, and such a way with words. so challenging and thought provoking. keep up the good work. i love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK---so I'm supposed to think that God blessed you but not others? :) I'm kidding there. That's what people think.

    What we have here is the results of obedience. Your parents walked with the Lord and the fruit of their obedience is your "blessed" life. Yes, you have been blessed, but it's not just that God chose you to bestow good things on.....it's the result of obedience!!! You and your husband have obeyed God and the results are good. Bad things still happen to people who obey....cancer or death of a loved one or a car wreck or whatever, but those are curses--they are the result of our fallen world, our broken creation from sin. But many more good things will happen because of walking with God.

    My husband had bad experiences in his childhood and I did not, but our family is good. Our children do not deal with the things he dealt with as a child becuase my husband believe God could change the direction his family had been going in for years. How else can you explain how a man from an alcoholic, abusive, divorcing background can be a wonderful husband and father and man of God?

    The results of obedience. They are good. And THAT is what your life shows to others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:14 AM

    i think you do an amazing job of encouraging me and making me want to change, and do the right things. i think you help all the kids in youth group and such too, but i think you could do A LOT with stay at home mothers with young kids. Jeff always sees the change in me after i talk with you, and all stay at home moms need SOMEONE to talk to.. Better that its one who's already gone through it all and can give good godly advice for how to cope with life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good examples are needed in the world too! Those with struggling families need to be able to see your family and know that good does exist. Those 5 girls can look at you and know that Love is real and marriages are made to last. Those girls look at you and are inspired to give their own kids a "perfect life".

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs