expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

thankful...

sometimes i have pity-parties.
i don't say that boastfully...at all.
i am not proud of it.
i am saying it because it is true.
and even though i stand up on the stage on sunday mornings looking all done up for church, it is not a true judge of who i really am. do not ever think that because i am a pastor's daughter or an assistant pastor's wife that i am any different than you.

who i really am is a very big sinner who was adopted by a very big Savior.

what i am thankful for, is the fact that God decided to put people in my life who are honest. that is truly what i want. i want the kind of friend that hears my pity party and does NOT tell me how true i am, how horrible things are, and that everyone needs to vent (right, ruthie??)
so sunday morning, when those stupid, good-for-nothing-feelings were overwhelming me, and i got a letter from someone i love, telling me to be thankful for what i have (in a very loving way) i was not at all offended. at all.(and for real, there is no sarcasm there this time!!)

when i come home and find an email from a girl that i love, who is currently way too far from home, asking me deep questions that make me want to dig deeper into my Bible to find out why exactly i believe what i believe, i am so incredibly thankful.

when i have a sweet friend announce very openly and honestly that she has a pride problem... and you know why? because she went a couple of days without reading her Bible. really? pride? YES! i am so challenged! pride that says I can do things on my own today, and do not need GOD to tell me what to do!

i could go on and on. you know why? because these are the kind of people that are in my life.
it is not at all uncommon to have an email from a family member giving me a Bible verse they just came across and thought i should read.

and God has blessed me with some other people who encourage me to grow as well, AND ask for advice in areas that they want encouragement with!
this is a choice on my part!
i want to be spending time with people who are helping to bring me closer to Jesus, not giving me excuses as to why i need "me-time" (grrr...don't even get me started!)
or how it's ok that i skip church this week, becuase after all. i have been sooo busy!

i am thankful to have a husband who has no problem at all telling me what i need to do to change. because he loves me and he wants me to be happy!
i heard a great message about influences in our lives. you can check it out here. i think it's worth watching. (oh, and you can hear me and my brother singing too :)

don't even think for one second that the people you choose to spend time with have no effect on you. they do.
choose your friends wisely. i am so thankful for the friends God has blessed me with that are "sharpening" me to be more like my Savior.

so what started out as a pity-party, ended up to me more of a thankful-party.

eat that, satan :)

3 comments:

  1. love the honesty. may God continue to mold us all. . . and use our friends to help Him with that process :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a thankful party! :)

    perfect.

    and yes, eat that satan!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto, Melanie! Thankful-party. AWESOME.

    Thanking HIM for YOU.

    You have no idea how many people read your blog who are encouraged, and inspired to grow closer to the Savior.
    Love you and am thankful to call you "friend" and "sister."

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs