expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, November 23, 2009

christmas

i was in target the other day, and i literally felt sick to my stomach. i looked down each aisle...one stacked to the top with pink dolls. another jam packed with every lego imaginable. then i rememberd one day, when we brought a few balls and bats with us to the bateyes in the dominican and kids came running at us from everywhere so that they could play with a ball. ONE ball!


i remembered the feeling i had when i got home to my little tiny living room after a week of seeing this


and suddenly the fact that my living room was small meant nothing. it has a carpet. and electricity. and a couch.

i remember coming back from haiti and thinking...wow. i have way too much.




what has christmas become in america? what has america become? forget christmas, that's just become one more excuse to buy your kids way more than they need. parents hardly need an excuse anymore! isn't it all about comfort? OUR comfort??? that is the world we are living in!! is that how we're supposed to live? paul didn't think so. "though i am free and belong to no man, i make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible" (1 cor. 9:19) i make myself a SLAVE in case you didn't read it the first time! my goal in life is to please God. that's it!! i have to make the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. doesn't that put a different perspective on things? it's not all about me and my comfortable life. it's about obedience to the voice of God. and don't forget, if you truly love the God who saved you, his commands are NOT BURDENSOME!! (1 John5:3)
it's the least i can do. Christ is my life. i need to make sure that i am not letting myself get so caught up in a comfortable life that i miss out on what God has planned for me.
i am so excited to see what God is going to be doing in my life. in my husband's life. in the life of my boys. i am praying that i will hear God's voice louder than the voice of the world. i always pray that for my boys. the world's voice is so loud! stop for a second. put down your christmas list. LISTEN to God's voice. make it your GOAL to please him. it is so beyond worth it.

5 comments:

  1. Yes!!!! Thank you for this post! I had such a simple list prepared for my girls and I have found it creeping bigger and bigger and bigger. Thank you for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post was amazing!! such a reality check and so convicting!! thank you for sharing! preach it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful post!! this year we too have been overcome with worldly-ness of this HOLYday! we have always limited our buying to one gift per person!! this year we take it to another level...gifts to others in family and friends names, i am already so much more calm about this year and really looking forward to a season about the reason, JESUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:16 AM

    Very much needed. My family was near the mall area last weekend..My husband says for the next 2 weeks you wont be able to move around here.People will be shopping.They don't know why,they just know they have to buy gifts for people they know...It is real sad what this holiday has come to.I am so glad I am saved!! Thank you JESUS for this day! All my kids want are just 2 things. I was a little shocked.Go JESUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this post! I find myself getting sucked in so easily...I feel like i have to get this or do that to pleae people when it comes to the holidays...but that not what it is about!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs