expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, November 05, 2009

i homeschool and only have 2 kids...



just a confession today. here we go. (and it's not about my super-awesome book corner that you are seeing in the picture!)
sometimes i feel like i am not taken seriously, and my homeschooling, or child-raising almost "doesn't count" because i only have 2 kids. seriously, going to any place that has homeschoolers, and it's like they are looking behind me wondering where the rest of my kids are! i get comments a lot when i am out in public about how well-behaved my boys are. (course, i have a lot of people who love to say that i was so "lucky" that my kids were so good!! oh ya...total luck. had nothing at all to do with the training!!!) but then i will talk to people with more kids, and it's like...well, if you had more kids it would be different. i am not in any way denying that having more kids is more difficult!! of course it is! but regardless, raising kids is hard work...if you have 1, or if you have 13!!
i was just encouraging a friend of mine (with a 1 1/2-year-old) to remember that harder work now, makes for less work later. disciplining your kids takes work. it is always "easier" to give in at the time. but it is always HARDER 5 years from now when you have taken the easy way out! make the effort to be consistent now so that your job will be easier later.
i STILL have to make schedules for my kids. i still have to write out assignments, i still have to do laundry, make meals and the same things everyone else has to do!

so there's my confession. thanks for listening!
the point is, if you "only" have 1 or 2 kids - be a godly, hard working, and CRAZY FUN mom!! and if you have 13 kids, do the same!! i love deuteronomy - one of the best books in the Bible - it talks about teaching about God's love and faithfulness ALL THE TIME!!! no matter what you are doing. sometimes i just start singing a bible verse that i made up. sometimes when i hear a great praise and worship song i just grab the boys and start dancing. i want to show my boys that Jesus is not just a part of my life, he IS my life!! i admit that i'm a little crazy, and i love laughing. i want that to be a big part of my family's life. in God's presence is FULLNESS of JOY!!! let's act it, no matter how crazy or calm our life may be!!

5 comments:

  1. i love your book corner!! how fun! :) and i enjoyed reading your thoughts too.

    i love that "in God's presence is fullness of joy!!" thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ... I hope I haven't made you feel bad for "only having 2 kids". I absolutely agree ... no matter how many children we have, we are called to be godly wives and mothers, training up our children to love and serve the Lord.

    I will share a funny story, though.

    I had 9 children (ages 1 - 16). I met a lady that had 3 children (ages 2-7). She honestly told me, "Since you have so many helpful teenagers, I'm sure it is easier for you to raise your 9 than for me to raise my 3." I was shocked! As if teenagers are a piece of cake??? (I wonder how she feels now that she has teens.) Anyway, despite my shock, I just smiled politely.

    A few months later, this lady asked one of my teenage daughters to babysit. When she returned home she said, "Mom, our 9 children ARE easier than her 3. Her 3 are OUT OF CONTROL!"

    The moral of the story: it doesn't matter how many children you have, you still need to TRAIN THEM. My children were not born as "well-behaved, wonderful children". No, they were born as sinful as any other child. But, with much hard work and training, they have grown up to be amazing young adults, and teens, and pre-teens. They are (for the most part) kind and loving, not because they were born that way, but because it was expected of them, and there were consequences when they chose to not behave appropriately.

    Keep up the good work. Looks like you're a great mama, to me.

    Laurel
    mama of 13

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you.
    "...total luck. had nothing at all to do with the training!!"
    I wonder how they could think I could've been lucky 5 times in a row :)
    BTW- I think people should have how ever many kids is right for them & homeschooling is not just for big families. Keep on doing it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. really glad i found you! i feel the same way about the work i do with my kids, and the "small" family we have (i have 3 kids and still get the same looks, like where are the rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment! It's great to meet you!

    You are so right, that no matter how many children we have we need to be faithful to raise them right. And it is hard work no matter how many you have!

    I have two boys as well! Boys are great!

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs