expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, April 12, 2010

stir not up...

i feel like i am constantly trying to distract my boys from inappropriately dressed females. now before you start judging me for taking my kids to victoria's secret with me or something (which i DO NOT)...the times i am doing this the most is AT CHURCH! WHAT???
are you serious??
um. yes.
ok, i guess i am having a little conversation with myself.

i came across this verse not too long ago:



do you understand what this means? it is repeated 3 times in Song of Solomon.
the females today are waking something up early...the innocence of our boys. how many moms of boys are with me right now?? shouldn't we be able to go to the park, or go to the grocery store, or GO TO CHURCH and not have to fear that the innocent thoughts of our boys are being stirred up by girls - of all ages?

this emphasized truth in the Bible bears repeating, and i think it is put so well. it is explained in a way that i never really thought of.

this desire that a man has for a woman's body is very beautiful, natural and holy. however, it is meant for marriage only! it is not meant to be discovered by my 8-year-old, who can not have a complete understanding of what it all means. it is not meant to be awakened and stirred up yet! it is supposed to be...i guess the opposite of awakened would be dormant? defined: temporarily in abeyance yet capable of being activated so it is temporary, but it is necessarily so!

you moms who have girls, and you moms yourselves...can you help those of us with young boys out? can you choose to wear a tank under your low shirt? can you teach your girls the importance of modesty and the fact that attraction is from your inward qualities? see, that is what i, and so many other moms are trying to train our boys to look for...inward qualities.

don't get me wrong, i am all about style. but here's the thing. you can still look cute and be modest! it might mean making a small adjustment here and there, but it is worth it!

i pray every night that my boys will stay pure. in their thoughts, and in their lives. i also pray for my boys future wives. that they will keep themselves pure. that they will not let their adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel—rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God."

keep lifting your children before God's throne. God promises that they will be POWERFUL and EFFECTIVE!

10 comments:

  1. AMEN!!! I have only girls, as you know, but I am very uncomfortable with what I see girls wearing at church. And other places. I cannot imagine having boys in this world right now.

    Just know, some of us moms of girls are trying really hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you brenda!! we so need moms like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was so good. i'm already lifting up my baby before Gods throne. so thankful that our prayers are powerful and effective!! love you shell. keep being a great mom to those boys :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for leaving a comment! Where in the world did you find my blog?
    I love this post about modesty. As you saw I have one in college and an 8 year old. They can't go anywhere without seeing girls that didn't get all their clothes on. : ) Thank you for challenging the mothers of daughters to make sure they dress them appropriately. Your family is beautiful and you are absolutely gorgeous!
    I love your heart for the LORD and the way you write about it. You are now on my list of blogs to read! : )
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:05 AM

    I really like this post.
    My oldest daughter is 8.
    Yet I already see the importance of modesty training.

    ReplyDelete
  6. best post ever. A-M-E-N.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with this post from beginning to end!! I have a boy and 3 girls...it's not easy to keep them protected in this modern world.

    Also, we must remember that we mothers are being watched by our own children...modesty begins at home and with us! Sadly, sometimes our girls are given two standards for modesty..one for them and one for we, "adults". It doesn't make sense...and believe me, they are seeing the conflict there!!

    Thanks again for posting this! (I found you through Jen B.'s blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:18 AM

    In my opinion, a woman that doesn't have modesty simply cheapens herself...
    "A beautiful woman who lacks discretion is like a gold ring in a pig's snout" - Prov. 11:22

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:56 PM

    It because we live in a sexualized society. Children are beaten over the head with it everywhere you turn and it starts younger and younger. Have you seen the half naked guy outside Abercrombie & Fitch? I'm a mom of little girls and a boy and I actually think it's more damaging to the girls. Unfortunately, they learn very early on that their value (society) is in how they look and looking good means being appealing to the guys...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ten years now I have been raising my girls (and boy) to be modest.
    I was talking to my girls in Sunday School about this the other week. The way I dressed at Calvary, and the way I dress now that I have a clean heart. It's not a struggle now that my heart is right.

    Good post! I wish more people would think how they dress fully through and consider the consequences of stirring people up.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs