expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, April 05, 2010

little break from the vacation for my thoughts...

for those of you who know me the best, you know that i always have something to say. i could ramble on and on at any given moment. i am passionate about a lot of things, and i enjoy talking about those things.
today, i am sitting outside of The Porch enjoying the gorgeous weather, and just praying for the people of this area as they drive by. i have been thinking about how many people are in bondage and don't even realize it.

i heard a knock on the door the other day. it was 2 men in suits. guess who?? haha..it actually honestly made me laugh. i thought. for REAL??? this is the house behind the BAPTIST church!! what part of BAPTIST do you not understand?!?
i have never had a conversation about spiritual things with a jehovah's witness, and here was my chance. i was searching everywhere in my brain for memories of the advice that john yates from fbi (seriously. if your church doesn't offer this, you need to) had given about what they believe. i started right out with john 1:1. how hard could this be. The Word was with God and the Word WAS GOD. not "A god". ok. he didn't really go anywhere with that one. so i mentioned something about Jesus being God. ohhh yaaaa...when i saw his reaction, i realized this was one point we slightly disagreed on! so i continued. Jesus is God.
is not.
is too.
is not.
is too.
just kidding. we didn't do that last part. :)

he tried to explain to me that this was not humanly possible. for example, he said, i am a father, and i have a son. it is not possible for us to be the same person. i said. um. a lot of things about God aren't humanly possible, that's what makes him GOD.
he said. "so you're trying to tell me that you can't understand things about God?"

i said "ABSOLUTELY". God says in the book of Isaiah "your ways are not my ways, neither are your thoughts my thoughts".

he said. "that was Isaiah talking"

i said. "um. No. it wasn't. i JUST read it. (i really actually did, at least within the last 90 days, because we just finished reading through the Bible in 90 days!)

i said "there's a lot of things that don't make human sense. i mean, does Jesus being born of a virgin make human sense?"

get this. HE SAID YES! ok. that conversation is for a different time, buddy!

he said "well, have you looked into the hebrew language? i mean. if you study this out, December 25th couldn't even have been the day Jesus was born"

WHAT????

i did remember john yates saying...they will try to get you sidetracked, but stick to the gospel.

so...i watched the guy he was with, who i assume was being trained. and i started thinking. ok, my goal is just going to be to quote scripture and put some doubt in this guys mind. God's Word won't return void, right?

so i did. i quoted john 3:16. i quoted ephesians 2:8. i said that i had actually walked this very road myself handing out Bibles. the REAL Bible. not a man-made one. but it was NOT so that i could get into heaven. it is by grace through faith ALONE that i was assured of my eternity.

the guy talking was clearly flustered, so i just stopped him. he asked if he could give me some information.
i told him i didn't want his literature in my house. (adam told me later i should have taken it all to throw it away. oh well)

i was shaking so bad! i don't even know why, but it was such a great experience. it made me see even more the importance of being ready always to give an answer. for me AND for my boys.

i spent a lot of the morning with aj and ry going over their awana verses.
as aj was quoting john 10:30, he said - ooohhhh...that would be a good one.

i said, for what?

he said for those jehovah's witnesses! oh ya!! "I and my Father are one". doesn't get more clear than that!

i honestly teared up. i thought, here is my 8-year-old using the Bible to stand firm in his faith.

for those moms out there who are raising your little ones to love God. make sure they love their Bible. make sure they KNOW their Bible! also, i think it is so important to know the basics of what other religions believe. i do not want to come across as ignorant. i want to learn about their beliefs, so i can know how to reach them.

i don't know if anything i said will make this man start thinking differently. but i can pray for his heart. i can pray for the people i drive by, and the people i know are unsaved. so can you.

together, we can make a difference.

7 comments:

  1. Good job on not just saying, "No thank you!"

    Yes ... we MUST teach our children God's Holy Word. In addition to Awana ... Bible Study Fellowship is an amazing tool for studying God's word with our families.

    This reminded me of a time that 2 young Mormon missionaries came to my door. One of the main things they want to talk about it the importance of FAMILY. So, just after opening the door, all of my 8 young children were quickly surrounding me. The 2 young men, obviously NOT parents themselves, said, "Well ... looks like you probably already know a lot about being a mom." Big Smiles. "Have a nice day."

    Blessings to you and your Bible-Loving Family!

    Laurel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did good! I had some come to my door when Little Bit was very small and I couldn't get my head together at all but I invited them to come back when my husband was home. They did, and we studied with them for 4 weeks. (once a week). It was very interesting and we learned a lot. Each week the main girl brought a more experienced partner until finally she brought an older man along. My husband LOVES to talk about the Bible but he finally said hey, we aren't going to agree and they left. I hope also, that he planted some doubts in their minds. We kept the book so we could have something to reference when arguing with another one later on perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, when we were in Israel, Chuck Swindoll came into the garden with his group of 650 and they had a service. We stayed ... it was CHUCK SWINDOLL! He was great, but one thing he said at the end really stood out to me and has been something I have pondered over and over in my heart. He said we need to learn Bible verses and the hymns because some day we could be the ones in the camps and it will be all we will have. Interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved reading this! :) those guys were wild!! so glad i was there, sitting on the table listening to the whole thing. you did an awesome job, far better than i wouldve ever done. you gave them truth- and thats what they need. keep up the good work. thanks for the challenge!

    love you sis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi
    Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. I design my posts with a scrapbook program then upload to flickr and post with a link from there. If you want more details feel free to email me. mommy 2 4 treasures@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME JOB!!! And awesome post! So proud of you! And so proud of your boy, too...amen, dear boy! Can't wait to read this to my boys later.
    Love you, always thankful for your encouraging and truthful words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. can brayden come stay at your house for awhile? you do such a great job with your boys :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs