expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

the wisdom of this world is foolishness...

i was reading in I Corinthians today. in chapter 3 it talks about the wisdom of this world. it calls it FOOLISHNESS with God! wow. that is pretty strong language, don't you think? verse 18 warns of deceiving yourself in thinking that you are wise in this age. this is what it's all about...my faith stands NOT in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. i love that i can teach that to my boys. we played a little game that i came up with the other day.

it went a little something like this.

me: riley, aj is having a hard time with a boy from awana who is being mean to him. what verse could you give him to help him?

ry: ummm...maybe think of others as better than yourself?

me: great riley!

me: now aj. ry is having a hard time going to sleep at night because he is so afraid. what verse could you give him to help him?

aj: hmmm...what time i am afraid i can trust in Thee. oh, then he can even sing it!!

me: awesome!

this went on for a while, with me giving life situations, and the boys coming up with scripture to solve it. see, to me...this is more important than any other lesson i can give them.

if riley can solve every math problem in 5 seconds, but has not gotten over his anger issues. i have failed.

if aj can rattle off every fact about the civil war, but can not control his emotions. i have failed.

the main thing i would like to teach my boys is the the Bible is ALL-SUFFICIENT. did you get that?? just in case you didn't hear it the first time, i will type louder.

the Bible is ALL-SUFFICIENT

people do not get that. even christians sometimes. they think that the Bible is good for...spiritual things. but when it comes to health, finances, marriage, parenting, depression, you name it. THOSE kind of things you need a doctor, a shrink, a super-nanny, a pill.
that's not what my Bible says. don't get me wrong. i am not against doctors or anything like that. but you get my point. the Bible is what we go to for everything - FIRST.

2 peter says "His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him Who called us". that's pretty clear.

i got a little teary this morning when i saw my boys doing their devotions.


they are already...at 7 and 8-years-old, learning that everything you will ever need comes from God's Word.

3 comments:

  1. i love it, i love it, i love it.
    awesome post, and awesome job with your boys. they are amazing, you are such a good mommy and teacher to them. keep up the good work. i hope i'll be just as good a mom to my child as you are to yours. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'm impressed. And humbled. I don't think my girls could rattle off any scripture. My older one knows every Bible story in the book but not verses.

    Wow. You've raised the bar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:57 PM

    I can't tell you how much I love and agree with this entire post.
    Good job, mama, for keeping your forcus on parenting heavenward.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs