expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

facebook dilema

a friend of mine recently got me thinking about the question that i have heard people ask before.


how old should my kid be, before i let him get a facebook account?


seems like a valid question, right?


i mean...i feel like i am forever getting friend requests from 9 and 10-year-old kids!


while my boys have never even asked for a facebook account, i decided to do a little research.


you know, on the company rules.


this is what i found:


In order to be eligible to sign up for Facebook, users must be thirteen (13) years of age or older.

well. i found that pretty interesting.

so...here's the question.

what are your views on keeping rules?

i mean, you might think i'm totally crazy and a bit extreme to be looking at it like this, but hey..
let's face it. 
you already thought i was totally crazy and a bit extreme anyways!


think about it.


the rules of the company facebook say that you can't have an account unless you are 13.
so...


in order to let your child have an account, would you have to lie about their birthdate?


well then..if the rules of your child's teacher is that they can not talk without raising their hand...what does that really mean?


...if the rules of the company that they are going to work for in a few years say that you can only take 15 minute breaks...what does that really mean?


if the rules of the state of nh say that you have to be 21 before you can drink alcohol...
what does that really mean?


if you are willing to bend the rules for one thing...


how in the world will we ever know that our kids will have the discretion to not bend the rules on every single thing?


really!! where do you draw the line??


i have heard the quote


what parents do in moderation, children will do in excess.


true?


i think so.


i, for one,
want to be teaching my kids right from the start, that we are responsible to abide by rules that businesses and our government, and our SELVES have set up!


and if we bend on this...


who's to say they won't start bending on other, more "important" things!


so when your son or daughter asks you if they can have a facebook account?


how about you be the mom that says...


hey, let's check out what the rules are, and go from there.
i mean, after all...
a rule is a rule.


and don't we want our kids to be keeping the rules?


for their own good?


i know i do!


*oh, and if they try the...every other 10-year-old has one?
i give you permission to drop my name...and my 10-year-old that does NOT have one!


let's work together, moms...to be raising responsible, respectful kids!!







4 comments:

  1. When Torrey was in 8th grade, our pastor was doing a thing called "ask Pastor Gregg" before he preached. Some were what's your favorite color etc. Torrey's friend Izzy asked about Facebook because her parents wouldn't let her have one. Torrey didn't either at the time. (They thought they were fantastic because what parent would go against their pastor?!) Anyways, he sided with the kids IF the parents had and took control. We have Torrey's password and would use it if needed ... she often checks her Facebook on my computer and leaves her page open ... I do my snooping then.

    That being said, what 10 year old needs a Facebook account? What us wrong with letting our kids be kids. They will grow up soon enough. Sometimes parents don't want to be parents, but friends. God didn't call me to be Torrey's friend, but her parent. She has enough friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The makers of Facebook think it could be DANGEROUS for children under the age of 13! There's been extreeme cases in the news of children getting into trouble online. Facebook doesn't even have a burden for my children's souls like I do, yet they set this minimum.
    (My 14 year old doesn't have a facebook or email account; not because she's not responsible BUT because things can happen) Kids really don't always understand what is personal + shouldn't be posted-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also horrified about it. I was brought up that you did NOT lie. My parents would no more "say I had a doctor's appt." and pull me out of school than the man in the moon. It wasn't happening. I did not even need to ask. And when we go somewhere where younger kids get in cheaper or free and I know my children look younger...? I still say their correct age. I mean, I'm standing right there in front of them! Even if I wasn't!
    Also, and this has nothing to do with age...children that are very young (even 13) do not have the ability to understand that whatever they type is out there for everyone to see. I mean, they can't look ahead at the reprecussions before they hit post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! Amen! Amen!

    I even follow the arrows at the gas station, that say which way the line should go. My kids KNOW that their Mama follows rules.

    Facebook? Oh my! Don't get me going!

    My kids can get their own email acct. somewhere between age 13-15, IF they are showing responsibility and IF mama has the password.

    My kids do NOT get FB accounts until they are young adults. My just turned 18 year old recently asked if he could get one now.

    I do not have a FB account, and have no desire to have one. But, my husband has one and I have access. It is a good way to keep up with (or spy on) our 6 young adult children.

    Facebook CAN be a good thing ... maybe ... possibly. But, in MANY ways it is NOT a good thing.

    PEOPLE!!! Let your kids be kids!!! Why would there be ANY reason to let a 9 year old have a FB acct???

    Sorry. Enough of a rant for now.

    Mama D.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs