expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, June 07, 2010

10 Lessons I learned While Running. Part 1

Let me describe who I am. I am a daughter, sister, child of God, wife, mother, aunt, singer and runner. Now, before you google my name to find all my awards, let me save you the time and effort. Although I would describe myself in part as a runner, I've never won a big race to make a name for myself. I have, however, run thousands of miles, including 2 marathons and 3 half marathons, and did come in 2nd in my age division of a 10k...to which I won a gift card to Panera Bread and greaty enjoyed! ha!

I am probably a lot like you. I have had days of feeling like I have done a great job as a mom and wife, have put in 20 miles of running, got caught up on all the laundry and had an amazing time of devotions with my God.
There are also those days when I have woken up late and not exercised at all. Said something inappropriate to my husband, yelled at my boys, put one load of laundry in and left it wet too long so I had to run it through again, and not even opened my Bible. I will assume, to ease my conscience, that you have been in the same place as me!

Whoever you are, man or woman, single or married, runner or not, there is something you can learn from what I am about to share.
What I love about God's Word is that it has no category it must belong in. God's Word is for anyone, no matter where you are in life. If you need help trying to get out of an adulterous relationship, or if you need to learn how to keep your big mouth shut when everything in you is telling you to scream, God's Word is for YOU!

In all the miles I have run, God has shown me allegories of ways I need to trust and love him more. So, here they are.


1. Two are better than One.

This is so true in so many ways. I have always run with a partner. It has always been with my dad, except for in college when I ran with Adam. Having a partner is helpful in so many ways. The mornings when it was still black outside, and pouring down rain, I could have easily justified sleeping in. But, I didn't have that option, knowing that my dad would be waiting. It is also great to be able to run with someone just for the encouragement along the way. Being able to talk to get your mind off the next hill is so helpful. You can read an article I wrote about running with my dad here.
These things are true in the christian life as well. Getting up to go to church is so much easier when you have a husband who is going too! Me and Adam decided early on, even before we had kids, that church would be a priority for us. We just know right off the bat, that Sunday mornings and evenings are designated for church attendance. It is no different than how Adam is with working his job. Monday morning comes, and he would get up and go to work. No matter what the weather was, or what other event was going on. I love that we are in this together, and it makes things so much easier! It also helps to have another person (husband, friend, whatever) to talk to, to help you get up life's hills. 2 are definitely better than 1!

2.Look down while going up hill

This is true for me in running. Sometimes it actually makes it worse to see the hill you are about to climb. Looking down, the road just looks like, well...the road!

Same thing in life. I have heard it said that the reference in Psalms that explains God's Word as a lamp unto our feet, is described that way to remind us that a lamp allows us to just see enough light in front of us for one more step. Sometimes seeing too far ahead could get us worried. God gives grace and strength exactly when we need it. Looking ahead at what trials we think we see coming only causes more stress anyways! Just look at the road that is right in front of you...trusting for each and every step.


Part 2 comes later...aren't you just on the edge of your seat???

6 comments:

  1. Actually, yes! I love #2. It reminds me of what Corrie Ten Boom's father told her about giving her ticket just before she got on the train. She had it when she needed it and not before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally am on the edge of my seat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. im on the edge of my seat too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was great! Thanks.

    Oh yes ... good days and bad days ... just wanted you to know you aren't alone on the not-so-good days.


    :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so not alone in the good day/bad day combo ;)
    great analogies!! can't wait for #2!! i praise the Lord for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. just love you. thanks for being you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs