expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, December 21, 2012

stinking rotten thoughts

some of you know that i decided to take a break from facebook for a while.
i had actually been feeling like i needed to for a while.
several sunday mornings, during the sermon at church, i would feel a twinge of conviction. feeling like i was wasting too much time with it, and i was letting myself get too emotionally involved in lives that really had nothing to do with me.
but monday morning would come, and i would push the thoughts off, and continue living.

i finally told a couple friends about my feelings, so they would hold me to making the choice that i really knew i wanted to make anyways!

it has only been a couple of weeks, but i have been amazed at how freeing it has been.
see...i am a people person. maybe a little bit of a people-pleaser.
not really in the way of like...i need to do anything anyone wants to make them happy?
but i just like for people to like me.
but what was happening was - i would see comments and life choices on my newsfeed.
then i would let it affect me.
i was noticing that during my quiet time and Bible reading, i was reading a verse and thinking of another person. not in a judgmental way, but just like...i wish this person could get this!
and i was missing out on what the verse was saying to ME!

i also was spending too much time on it.
i wasn't spending hours at a time, but it was just the kind of thing like...
i'd be editing pictures, and then while i was waiting for a picture to load or whatever, i would just "check my facebook real quick"
those few minutes here and few minutes there can really add up!

so. all that to say.
my main problem is my stinking rotten thoughts.
i hate that i let people affect me. i hate that i get upset and frustrated.
so i asked adam last night. (at midnight...my favorite time to start a deep conversation. ha!)
how do you actually practice 2 corinthians 10:5?
"we demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of  God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
i know that it is in God's Word. so it's possible. it's livable.
but HOW?

so he said.
well. i guess every time you start having a thought that is getting you down or frustrated, you just pray! you say "God, please take these thoughts captive and make them obey you"

um. really?
is there a reason i didn't just think of ASKING GOD??

oh adam, how i love you.

so that is what i am doing.
i am starting to actually ask God when i have troubling thoughts.
when i see things that bother me.
when i start to notice that my thoughts are going down the wrong path.
i'll just ask!
and i know that if i ask, God promises to help me.

so. no more stinking rotten thoughts for me today!
those thoughts are going to be obedient to God.

ready. set. go.




2 comments:

  1. Love this. What a great reminder to ask God. It's funny how that's usually the last thing. Not after reading this post!! Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this too. Such a good reminder to always take our thoughts captive and to bring them to the obedience of Christ. I need to do this more!! ready, set, go!:)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs