expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

life without facebook...

interesting.
last week i went on my little rampage about facebook, and my hurt and blah blah blah.
i had decided to get off facebook for the month.
today, i honestly can not believe how much i do NOT miss it!

i really thought i would.
i enjoyed the new photos
i enjoyed the unnecessary status updates
i enjoyed all the needless information i was filling myself with.

believe me, this is not going to be a post on the sinfulness of facebook,
and how you should remove this wicked evil from your life.
i am not saying that.

it's just interesting. that's all.

i have been very challenged by the sermon i heard sunday.
it was talking about appetite.

the example used was:

you are driving  home late one night, and are super hungry
so you stop at mcdonald's and stuff yourself with
greasy fries, and nasty burgers...no offense

only to get home and find out that there was an amazing
gourmet meal ready to be served to you.
but you couldn't even think about eating it because you were already filled!
even if you were filled with junk

my mind started thinking of all the things that this could apply to.
for some reason, music came to my mind.
i thought...if i am constantly listening to music that is meaningless,
maybe even negative, then i will have no desire to listen to any other kind of music.
i will be all filled up, and will miss out on some really encouraging music that could uplift me.

then i thought about my time.
if i am filling myself all up to the brim with facebook, tv, online shopping, or whatever...
there is no room left for my time spend searching and studying God's Word.
time spent on prayer.
time spent with my kids, or my husband.

when you think of your time as an appetite, that has a limit.
it has a point when it gets all filled up and no more can be put in...
then you might think a little more about what you are filling yourself up with!

i went on facebook yesterday just because adam had said
i had 28 people that had said happy birthday.
you know what? i got annoyed. i was like...this person doesn't even like me!!
why are they pretending to on my stinking wall!?!

and there came my really super hideously ugly side.
i had thoughts come in my head yesterday, that i literally stopped myself and said outloud
"you are a wretched and miserable woman, rachelle"
ha...here comes romans 7 again. i honestly love romans.

so i just wanted to make sure that the world knows (and i know the entire world reads this blog...at least 40 people do, since they are following me. so thank you, my most-of-the-time-silent-followers!)
that it is physically possible to live your life without logging in to the world of facebook.

isn't that so good to know?
i would recommend anyone try it.
and at least stop yourself for a minute today.
just stop what you are doing, and see what you are filling yourself up with.
the less junk you have,
the more you will be hungering and craving God's Word!!
that's where i want to be. craving, longing for, desiring, being passionate about...
God's Word.

6 comments:

  1. this was good. thanks for the challenge. i'll pay more attention to the things i'm filling myself up with!!!

    i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done facebook , but I have to monitor my time blogging! I can get "full" reading blogs and eat time better spent elsewhere. This post clearly wasn't a waste of time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great and vulnerable point of view! I've probably been through five facebooks over the past two years because I feel hurt but something, or I just realize how much time I waste on it. But then, for one reason or another, I get one again. I know your post wasn't primarily about FB, it just struck a chord in me.

    You're so right on time management. I could really use a little change in how I operate my day, spending more of it in the Word, the only thing that actually satisfies. Thanks for the encouragement!

    Your blog is great! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for stopping by and AMEN sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, this is good convicting stuff here! I often get so flled up on "worldy" stuff! Like you said it totally gets you "full" and then you can't even think about filling up on God! So good! Thank you for some thoughts I need to ponder on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!

    While all of my young adult kids think that mama really needs to join FB ... I have no desire. I tell them that my computer time is saved for blogging, which I believe has much more ministry potential.

    Hope you all are doing well!

    Laurel :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs