expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, June 30, 2014

Mommy Monday - Make your kids do more work

Make your kids do more work.
The end.

ha...Just kidding, but I am hoping I am not the only mom who struggles with this.

Here is my problem. I am a do-er. Like...overly.
My natural instinct is just to empty the dishwasher, empty the trash, do the laundry and do it all in record time, exactly the way I want it.
It is so hard for me to delegate the work to my kids!

But here's the thing.
I am robbing them of feelings of accomplishment, and also of just learning to do things on their own!
Sure. My kids have some chores that are their responsibility and they know it.
But there are other things that are not really assigned to anyone. So for those things, it's a good idea to just start asking for help.
Today I was reading my Bible out on the front porch and I noticed that there were some spots of tall grass that were too close to the fence to get with my trimmer. I was about to get up and take care of it myself, and I decided to ask the boys to do it.
It took them maybe 5 minutes, and gave them a feeling of achievement and made them feel like they were helping to make our house look nice.
Plus it gave me the opportunity to encourage them and commend them for their good work.

Here is my short and sweet challenge for the week.

1. Teach your kids what initiative looks like.
This is something that does not come naturally and needs to be taught to our kids!

2. Resist the urge to "fix" the job they have done or to "correct" their work.
If the dishes aren't exactly the way you want them in the dishwasher, they will still get cleaned.
And who's to say your way is the right way anyways?!
Ain't no thang.

3. Ask them to do more.
Instead of sighing and picking up the pile of laundry, just walk into the room they are in and ask them to go and take care of the clothes that are theirs.

4. Encourage them when they have done a job.
We all need to be encouraged, and when we give jobs to our kids it is an open door for us to compliment them and build them up.
Please take it!
Take every single chance you have to build your kids up.
There are going to be more than enough other people who put them down.
Don't be one of them.

So go ahead...ask your kids do go do something for you.
And if they complain? Tell them it's my fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs