expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, May 05, 2014

Mommy Monday ~ It's not about you projects

Whew...What a weekend.
I had quite the sickness going on that landed me in the emergency room needing fluids after being dehydrated.
So glad that is over with!
Thank you to everyone who prayed for me and reached out. It means so much to me!

I am so excited with this idea that God gave me for The Porch.
But I am not only going to be using it at The Porch, I am going to be implementing it into our family as well.

As I'm sure you all agree, there is a huge amount of it's-all-about-me mentality going on.
We can blame it on social media, we can blame it on the schools, the church, you name it.
But the bottom line is this:

Unless we make a purposeful choice to focus on others, we will naturally focus on ourselves.

It's just the way it is.
It is always easier to choose wrong.
It is always easier to think of ourselves.
We need to work. To decide. To purpose, to be different.

As a family, we personally support missions, we give to our local church, we serve at different events and we try to make a difference in people's lives.
But we have not set aside a person, or a family or a ministry to really focus on and make it about them.

So we are starting It's not about you projects.

Every month will look different, but this month we are going to focus on Jana.
I have been so blessed and challenged by watching this 15-year-old girl (who I have never even met) go through so much, and continue to do Bible studies, pray, and keep her faith in her God strong.

If watching her doesn't make you realize it's not about you, then I just don't know what will.

It's not just Jana. My sister-in-law's friend Mindy is going through something I could never ever imagine going through as her and her husband watch their 5-year-old son fight cancer. And again? They are showing the importance and incredible strength in having a firm foundation in Jesus. Amazing.

We may choose to focus on local people, and some months we may choose to focus on a missionary in a different country. We may also choose more than one project per month.

The point is this.
Starting from a very early age, we need to teach our kids that it's not about them!
Can I get an amen?!

I have seen so many kids and teens over the last few years as we have served at The Porch  who are living life convinced that it's all about them.
They complain about the snacks we are giving them...for free.
They complain about the rules their parents have...as they go home to their huge house.
They complain about how they're bored...as they stare into their iPad, iPod, or iPhone.

I do not mean all teens. They are not all that way.
All I'm saying is this.
If we do not make a point to be purposeful about thinking of other people, it's not just gonna happen on its own!

So many times in the last few weeks God has brought that thought into my head
It's not about you.
It's not about you.
It's not about you.
Period.
It's about God.
It's about me loving God the way I should, which will in turn make me love people the way that I should.

My challenge is actually not just for moms today.
It's for everyone.

Start your own projects.

It doesn't have to be something huge. Anything will make a difference.
Pick a person, a family, a ministry...just pick something.
Send cards. Make meals. Help with a project. Start praying.
And remind your kids and yourself.

It's not about you.

And if you have a great ministry or need that you know of? Share it! I'd love to be a part too!
#itsnotaboutyouprojects




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs