expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, August 01, 2013

When God is Sarcastic


I love the Bible.
I am pretty sure that is no secret!
I love that it is real, and I love that it is prevalent to my life.
I also love learning about WHO God is.

Last night at our young adult group (yags) I sat in my living room with a group of people, who all went around and shared something they had learned last week from their Bible reading.
It is amazing to have friends who care about living godly lives!

One passage that my friend Ruthie brought up was
Isaiah 40.

It. is. awesome.

Haven't you heard? Don't you understand? God sits above the circle of the earth. The people below seem like grasshoppers to him...who created the stars? He brings them out...calling each by name. Because of  His great power and incomparable strength, not a single one is missing.

So we get that He is powerful.
That He is like no other, right?
But then get this...

how can you say the Lord does not see your troubles? how can you say God ignores your rights?
28 Have you never heard? Have you never understood?
The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth.
He never grows weak or weary, No one can measure the depths of his understanding.
29 He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless.
30 
31 But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.


Can you even handle this? This amazing God...sees my troubles. 
He gives power and strength to me. He cares about my problems. 
He doesn't have to. But He does.
Amazing. 
Most powerful, well known people only choose to spend time with and care about the other more powerful and well known people.
Last time I checked, I didn't have any Big Time people knocking down my door to visit!

But God is as BIG TIME as it gets.
And He wants to spend time with me.

Amazing.

Now...Another thing I love about God.

Have you ever read the book of Job?
If you haven't, it's a really good read.
It's the book of the Bible right before the Psalms.

It's an incredible story about a man who lost everything.
His children, his animals, his possessions, his health.
Everything.
He then questions God. He doesn't ever sin in this case. He doesn't doubt who God is.
But he questions.
Then God speaks to him.
Get this...

Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?
 Tell me, if you know so much. (*insert sarcastic voice here.*)
Who determined its dimensions and stretched out the surveying line?
What supports its foundations,  and who laid its cornerstone...


He goes on to say, Hey...dude. Did you ever tell the sun to come up in the morning? Right, that's what I thought...Because I did. Did you ever tell the sun to set? Ya...didn't think so.
Bro...Did you ever tell the clouds to start pouring rain?
What's that? I can't quite hear your response. Do you provide food for animals? Direct them on where to fly south for the winter with no map? Say what now? No, you say?
Ok. That's what I thought.
It was me, Job. It was me.
I am God. I am in control.
Do you still want to argue with me? 
Do you think you can ever understand why I do things the way I do?
That's what I thought. Boom. (*Rachelle Chase Version..haha)

Don't tell me God isn't the awesomest God there could ever be!!
I mean, sarcastic much?!?! I love it.
I love that God is real.
I love that God is sarcastic. 

Don't worry...at the end of Job, God blesses Job in some incredible ways.
He blesses him with more children, a ton of money, and on and on.

That's my God.
The God that is too powerful for me to ever comprehend.
The God that is too wise for me to ever understand.
The God that is more loving than I ever deserve.

I am so so thankful.
And today, wherever you are.
If you are questioning God.
If you are wondering why He is silent.
Understand this.
You can't understand.

I know that sounds like the opposite of comfort, but when you put together the powerful, incomprehensible God, with the fact that this God is LOVE. 
You get a pretty incredible relationship with a beyond incredible God.

That is the kind of comfort I need.




PS. I want to thank you all for commenting, texting, emailing and stopping by to show love and comfort to me. I am so grateful for all of the friends that God has blessed me with. 
I really mean that. In all the pain I've gone through with so many friendships, I have been so so blessed by people who love and care about me. So, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    

1 comment:

Blog Archive

Blog Design by Caked Designs